Qualifications and Obligations
Applicants who meet the following criteria may apply for the exchange program.
- Those who have completed at least one semester of study at one of the Sophia’s partner institutions as a degree-seeking student before submitting the exchange application.
- Those who are nominated by the home institution and enrolled in their home institute until the end of the study abroad.
- For the undergraduate program: those who have graduated from high school or have completed more than 12 years of formal education before participating in the exchange program.
- For the graduate program: Those who have completed undergraduate work or have completed more than 16 years of formal education before participating in the exchange program. Applicants are expected to have relevant academic background for their course of study at Sophia. Those who do not meet these qualifications will be asked to reapply to undergraduate programs or rejected.
- The applicants should have Grade Point Average of B (3.0) or better in the standard 4-level rating system (A, B, C, D) or equivalent.
- In principle, all applicants of English-taught program are required to submit one of the following English aptitude proofs.
a. Minimum 79 on TOEFL iBT
b. Minimum 550 on TOEFL PBT/ ITP
c. Minimum 6.0 on IELTS(Academic)
d. Minimum 730 on TOEIC
e. Cambridge English: C2 Proficiency (CPE) or C1 Advanced (CAE)
*Applicants for the Graduate Program in Global Studies are expected to have a higher English ability in comparison to the undergraduate program.
a. Minimum 100 on TOEFL iB
b. Minimum 600 on TOEFL PBT/ IT
c. Minimum 7.0 on IELTS(Academic
d. Minimum 870 on TOEIC
- In principle, all applicants of Japanese-taught programs are required to submit Japanese-Language Proficiency Test N1 certificate.
*Applicants who wish to enroll in the Graduate Program in Linguistics (言語学専攻) must submit proof of a JLPT N1 obtained within two years from the time of application.
*Applicants who wish to take the Japanese Language Education Course (日本語教育学コース) subjects in the Graduate Program in Linguistics (言語学専攻) must submit proof of a JLPT N1 score of 150 or higher. For those who are applying to other Japanese-taught graduate program, a higher level may be required for the breakdown score in addition to passing the N1 level.
Visiting students and non-degree students at the partner institution are not eligible.
Specific qualifications are written in each contract. Please confer with the study abroad coordinator at your home institution.
Exchange Students are expected to agree to the terms of the Pledge at the time of their application.
Tuition and Fees
Exchange students pay tuition & fees as charged by their home institution. However, make-up examination fees, insurance fees, *transcript fees and letter of attendance fees incurred at Sophia are the personal responsibility of each student.
Inquiries about the
contents of this page
- Department Name
- Center for Global Education and Discovery
- Bldg.2, 1F