Important Information and FAQ for Exchange Students -Spring 2023

Last Update: XX Feb 2022 JST

Before Arrival

VISA Application *Everyone with non Japanese citizenship

Please follow the “VISA Instruction.pdf” – Instructions for obtaining “College Student Visa” –

  1. Receive the COE. We send it to your host institute via postal mail in early February (scheduled).
  2. Apply for your visa at the embassy or consulate Please refer to the “ Instructions for obtaining “College Student Visa ” Document available from Application Portal)
  3. Obtain a visa from the embassy or consulate.
Letter of Acceptance

Q. Where can I get the Digital Copy of “Letter of Acceptance”?
A. Please login to the portal and access the link (“Letter of Acceptance”). You can print it out by yourself.


Q. What should I write for the VISA application form guarantor section?
A. Please login to the portal and look for the PDF (“VISA Instruction.pdf”).

Immunization and Medication Notice

To ensure the health and safety of students at Sophia campus, prospective students are strongly advised to receive vaccinations against not only COVID-19, but Measles, Mumps, Rubella and Chicken Pox.
There are medications that are legal in your home country but illegal to possess in Japan.
You are responsible to check if the medicine you wish to bring with you is accepted to possess or not. Sophia University cannot be responsible for any incidents which may arise due to this matter.
If you are to bring medicine to Japan, you may need to apply for a “Yakkan Shoumei (Certification of Pharmaceutical Inspect) “. (Note: for prescription medicine and psychotropic medicines, please pay particular attention)
Also, please note that there may a limit of the amount you could bring into Japan, depending on the medicine.
For more information about how to apply for the “Yakkan Shomei” and the amount limit of the medicine, please check this website and go through necessary procedures before coming to Japan.
You could also contact the Pharmaceutical Inspector by e-mail (the email address is available on the above website) if you have any questions about your medicine.
If you have any health concerns and want to receive continue treatment during your stay in Japan, please make sure to bring with you an English written referral provided by your physician.
Depending on your situation, the Health Center at Sophia University may be able to give you further advice.
Notes about current medical situation in Japan
We are concerned that the exchange students may have difficulties accessing adequate medical care offered in English depending on the situation of COVID-19.
If you have any chronic disease, and need medication in Japan, we strongly advise you to consult with your home doctor about your studying abroad. Also, if you have a referral letter from your home country, be sure to bring it with you at all times so that you can receive treatment smoothly in case of an emergency.

Arriving Japan


Q. I want to know how I can get from the airport to my housing.
A. Please refer to the following page “Transportation to Dormitories”.
Please check the directions from airport or quarantine hotel to the housing by yourself referring to the web page.
Please consider transportation that best suits your needs in terms of cost and convenience. Transportation to Dormitories

Working Permit Application

Q. I want to work part-time during my exchange.

Those who wish to do part-time job during your stay in Japan should submit the “Permission to Engage in an Activity Other Than That Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted” at the passport control, so that you can work part-time up to 28 hours per week. (The application document is available from Application Portal.)
If you forget to submit the application upon your arrival, you will need to visit the Immigration Bureau in Tokyo later, which will take much more time for receiving the approval.
Please make sure to check the following website of Immigration Bureau of Japan for more information and restrictions of the permit in advance.
Immigration Services Agency of Japan

You can find the form “Permission to Engage in an Activity Other Than That Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted” from our portal.
Please login to the portal and look for the PDF (“Application for Working Permit.pdf”).

Event Calendar

under construction

Inquiries about the
contents of this page

Department Name
Center for Global Education and Discovery
Bldg.2, 1F