How to Apply
Sophia Summer Session 2023 will be held in person.
Please click the link below to complete your online application once the application period starts:
The portal above is closed outside of the online application period listed below.
|Deadline <Japan Standard Time>||Notes|
Online Application Period
|OPEN: 9:00 a.m. February 6, 2023
CLOSE: 5:00 p.m. March 13, 2023
|All required documents must be submitted during the application period. Late submission will not be accepted.|
|Screening Result||By April 3, 2023||The result will be announced on a first-come-first-served basis.|
|Program Fee Payment||7 business days from your screening result notification.
Final Deadline: April 12, 2023
|Applicant will be placed into each course on a first-come-first-served basis of the payment completion.|
|Course Selection||As soon as your payment is confirmed.
No later than: May 31, 2023
|Make sure to check the syllabus before you select courses. If not already, syllabus will be uploaded on the website once confirmed.|
|Application for Language Buddy Program||Submit the application form to apply.
No later than: May 31, 2023
|Language Buddy Program is available for applicants enrolled in the Summer Program in Japanese Language only.|
|Welcome Packet Notice||Mid-June, 2023|
|Session Start Date||June 30, 2023||Orientation: June 30
Classes start from July 3.
|Session End Date||July 21, 2023|
|Transcript||Sent to applicant by the end of August|
Eligibility and Requirements
An applicant must:
- Be a current student or graduate of a Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctorate degree program outside of Japan. A high school student is not eligible for this program.
- Have completed at least a semester at the home university by the time of application. This applies only to an applicant who is currently a student.
- Submit ALL required documents to apply for the session by the designated application deadline.
Late applications will not be accepted.
- An OFFICIAL Academic Transcript and a Grading Scale from the applicant’s home institution
The minimum GPA requirement is 2.8 on a 4.0 scale, or equivalent.
-If the official original transcript is not written in English, submit an official transcript written in the language of origin and an official English translation of the original transcript.
-In case your official transcript must be sent to us directly from your home university, it must be received by the application deadline.
Center for Global Education and Discovery
Sophia Short-term Programs
7-1 Kioi-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-8554 JAPAN
- Passport Copy
- TTBJ (Tsukuba Test – Battery of Japanese) Score Report
See Placement test page for details.
- Color Headshot (taken within the last 3 months)
Applications will be evaluated by Sophia short-term program committee based on the submitted documents.
Inquiries about the
contents of this page
- Department Name
- Center for Global Education and Discovery
- Bldg.2, 1F